Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Telephone English #2



Introducing yourself


This is Ken.

Ken speaking



Asking who is on the telephone


Excuse me, who is this?

Can I ask who is calling, please?
Asking for Someone

Can I have extension 321? (extensions are internal numbers at a company)

Could I speak to...? (Can I - more informal / May I - more formal)

Is Jack in? (informal idiom meaning: Is Jack in the office?



Connecting Someone


I'll put you through (put through - phrasal verb meaning 'connect')

Can you hold the line?

Can you hold on a moment?


How to reply when someone is not available


I'm afraid ... is not available at the moment

The line is busy... (when the extension requested is being used)

Mr Jackson isn't in... Mr Jackson is out at the moment...


Taking a Message


Could (Can, May) I take a message?

Could (Can, May) I tell him who is calling?

Would you like to leave a message?

No comments: